Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Feeling Experimental!!

So, I have been on a search for a GOOD GF bread. Either in a recipe form or pre-made in stores.
Here is what I have found so far:

GF Pantry Best Sandwich Bread: I made this recipe, and to be honest...threw the loaf out. The "wet" texture made me gag! It was cooked all the way through, but even when I toasted it to the point of charred, it still was moist in the middle.

GF Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix: I had heard good things about this mix, and I was some what disappointed. It was better than their Sandwich Bread, but still not very good. I have a hard time with the consistency. I made some french toast with it though, and it was ok.

Kinnikinnick White Rice Bread (premade, frozen): I wanted to try this brand, and figured since the mix was the same price as the pre-made bread, that the best thing would be to try the premade kind. That way I was trying it the way that they intended it to taste. I made a grilled cheese sandwich with it. It was ok, but not great. Definitely better than the types I had made at home. I used some toasted with butter to mop up my marinara sauce with dinner the other night, and I thought it was pretty descent when covered in pasta sauce.

Kinnikinnick Bagels (premade, frozen): I had read on another blog about some FANTASTIC bagels (Glutino), but since I have yet to find them in stores here, i bought the Kinnikinnick ones. They are not bad. I toasted the heck out of them ,and smothered them in cream cheese, and pretended that I was back in San Jose, sitting in Main Street Bagels with Lyns, Ty, and Whit...eating a "real" bagel. It almost worked...almost. I think trying them with a flavored cream cheese and some veggies or Turkey Bacon would improve the overall experience.

I have some other recipes to try. Some of them are so complicated, that if I DID make them, and they turned out gross, I would probably cry. I might go to Ashland to the co-op to see what they have there.

I think that they will taste better to me over time. Right now, I am still at the point that I remember what gluten-filled foods taste like, so I am disappointed with the alternative. Over time, I will probably acquire a taste for these gf baked goods, but for now my quest goes on...

To Be Continued...

5 comments:

Lyns said...

ah Em, so sad. I wish we were back in SJ, eating at Main St. bagel too... and meeting for Starbucks at night. I miss those times! I wish you only the best though, in getting those taste buds to adjust fast! Im sure you will! How have you been feeling?

((Hugs))

Emilie said...

I have actually been feeling incredible. I had one boo-boo, and felt crummy all that night, but I have more energy than I have ever had in my life (while chasing 3 boys, nonetheless).

Lyns said...

That's so, so awesome Em. I am so happy for you. What an awesome thing to figure out, and know that you're going to feel so much better on a daily basis! ((Hugs))

Lyns said...

Just checkin' in to say hi :0)

HoganWorld said...

Abercrombie Fitch Online are very special clothes. You will certainly get to find Ed hardy clothes that will fit you perfectly. The Abercrombie Fitch Sale for everyone, they just look amazing and they also come at a discount price.Cheap Ed Hardy Shoes, each of them has the Ed Hardy signature on the front of the shirt and in some T-shirts, you will get to find it on the back too. There are designs that are popular and a lot of women are buying these Christian Louboutin Boots featuring it. These designs are called the "Love Kills Slowly", "Beautiful ghost" and "Tiger". If you wear Ed hardy clothing, you will surely get to be noticed around and looks amazing.