Thursday, June 7, 2007

Getting back into blogging

Ok, I have totally fallen behind in the blogging dept. Boo!
Yesterday, I made the BEST GF cookies. In fact, Matt said that he couldn't even tell that they were gluten free (the best compliment I can get). They were pumpkin-chocolate chip. If you didn't want to use chocolate, you could substitute raisins and/or walnuts. They are more a "fall" cookie, but they were so yummy that I didn't care.


Pumpkin Cookies
2 1/2 cup
bean or rice flour blend
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine gluten-free flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
In a mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add in dry ingredients. Stir in raisins or chocolate chips.
Drop by tablespoons onto an oil sprayed baking sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Makes 36 cookies.

1 comment:

Bair Family said...

I was just online looking for a GF donut recipe, when I ran across your blog. I read from the beginning and enjoyed reading your journey into a GF lifestyle with your son. I started my journey with my 2 kiddos (11 & 8) in January '07. And we are enjoying it... mostly. While we don't have CD, we do have Tourette's syndrme and OCD. We follow the "autism diet", which is pretty much Gluten free, Dairy free, and Egg free. Since those are our allergies, it seems to fit.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that months ago I found a fabulous line of cookbooks by Bette Hagman, called the "The Gluten Free Gourmet bakes...." Bread, dessert, comfort foods, fast and easy. It really helped in our transition, and my kids never feel like they are doing without. It is also much less expensive than purchasing the GF mixes.

Just thought I'd share my insight.

Sincerely, Kristi Bair, Pasco, WA
kristibair71@yahoo.com